Welcome to VinylNation.net - The Ultimate Vinylmation Resource!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you bring back your vinyls when traveling

--VinylNation Member--
    Favorite Vinyl Favorite Vinyl
    Deus has a spectacular aura about Deus has a spectacular aura about

How do you bring back your vinyls when traveling

I am headed down to WDW and I plan on buys a case or two and some open windows. About bringing them back. How do you bring yours back. I don't want the open windows to get crushed in luggage seeing as I don't open them.

--VinylNation Member--
    orkira has a spectacular aura about orkira has a spectacular aura about orkira has a spectacular aura about
    I prefer shipping mine back.

--VinylNation Staff--

crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute
    Don't quote me but I believe the last time I was down the World of Disney store had something going that if you purchase $500 or more they would ship the product to your home for free. If you buy two cases and some window boxes this might be something easily obtained. You might want to see if they are still running this promotion .

JTChief82's designated chaser puller!

--VinylNation Contributor--

LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future LindsayinNJ has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus View Post
    I am headed down to WDW and I plan on buys a case or two and some open windows. About bringing them back. How do you bring yours back. I don't want the open windows to get crushed in luggage seeing as I don't open them.
    Last time I bought a case of P7 and I just kept the "headboard" display part (like when they're displayed in store) and I cut off the front where the previews of the VM are, kept 2 boxes and put the actual VM in the little clear Walmart baggies into a tackle box ink my carry on. Probably not the referred way, but how I did!

Collecting since September 2010

--VinylNation Member--
    JDub11 has a spectacular aura about JDub11 has a spectacular aura about
    I always pack an empty carry-on bag in one of our suitcases on the way down, then make use of it on the way home..

--Royal Guard--

Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute Allotes has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybones27 View Post
    Don't quote me but I believe the last time I was down the World of Disney store had something going that if you purchase $500 or more they would ship the product to your home for free. If you buy two cases and some window boxes this might be something easily obtained. You might want to see if they are still running this promotion .
    All the gift shops at the park offer to ship your purchases for a fee. This also means you don't pay the tax if you have them ship it

I've done this quite a few times.

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Allotes For This Useful Post:

crazybones27 (05-02-2012)

--VinylNation Staff--

crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute crazybones27 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Allotes View Post
    All the gift shops at the park offer to ship your purchases for a fee. This also means you don't pay the tax if you have them ship it

I've done this quite a few times.
    I knew they shipped items but since he was thinking of doing two cases I figured maybe they'd still be running the free shipping promotion I saw. I definitely suggest shipping them back instead of packing them up and praying the flight gods don't crush'em . I didn't know you don't pay tax though .

JTChief82's designated chaser puller!

--VinylNation Member--
    K.P. will become famous soon enough
    We use a combination approach... We hit D-Street our first day and had a pretty big order. We paid D-Street to ship it to our home. Since we live out of state, we saved the sales tax which went a long way to off-setting the shipping charges. For the figres that we traded in the park and other smaller purchases here and there, we brought some empty carry-ons down with us and used these to bring home the vinyls that we didn't ship.

A few notes about paying Disney to ship: the shipping cost is based on the price of your purchases so bulky and inexpensive items are a bargain to ship compared to something small and expensive like jewelry. I'm told that as long as you have the receipts with you, you can have items purchased at multiple locations shippped out from 1 place. In other words, if you buy stuff from 10 different places around the park, you can bring everything to the gift shop at your Disney hotel and have them ship it all together. This helps because Disney charges less to ship 1 package with $500 worth of goods than it is to ship 5 packages with $100 each. If you go this route though, you probably get hit for sales tax at the time of each purchase and I doubt that you could recoup this.

--VinylNation Member--
    BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of BigAl_PT has much to be proud of
    The only time I bought a case on a trip was for Park Starz. Since I planned on making the purchase well in advance I packed accordingly and left space in my luggage for the case. Any of the loose figures or the window figures I carried on the plane. Again, I anticipated that so I had an empty carry on to fill.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigAl_PT For This Useful Post:

Disneyclaire (05-22-2012)

--VinylNation Member--

archie is a splendid one to behold archie is a splendid one to behold archie is a splendid one to behold archie is a splendid one to behold archie is a splendid one to behold archie is a splendid one to behold archie is a splendid one to behold
    if you are getting a rental car, i find it best to buy what i want, then take it to fedex/ups store have it packaged up and shipped home. shipping cost for 2 cases and a punch of window boxes shouldnt run more than $20-30 which is about half the cost of tacking on another fee for a bag (unless you get free checked baggage).
    The real #1 trader/seller on VinylNation.net

--VinylNation Member--
    MansionAddict will become famous soon enough
    We usually travel with an empty suitcase. In that I pack smaller empty shipping boxes and bubble wrap. That way I canwrap what I buy in bubble and box it up so it is double protected in the suitcase. If I buy a case, I just wrap that in bubble and put in the suitcase . I have have purchased 3 cases on separate trips and luckily not one case has been dinged or crushed yet (knock on wood) on the plane ride home.

--VinylNation Member--
    JoshW is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    if you are getting a rental car, i find it best to buy what i want, then take it to fedex/ups store have it packaged up and shipped home. shipping cost for 2 cases and a punch of window boxes shouldnt run more than $20-30 which is about half the cost of tacking on another fee for a bag (unless you get free checked baggage).
    Yes, I totally agree with you. If you have a rental car, drive to the nearest post office and have them ship it to you (or FedEx or UPS stores). That way, you don't have to worry about it on the plane.

--VinylNation Member--
    wdw is on a distinguished road
    I make sure to leave extra space in my carry on so they have a smaller chance of being damaged

--VinylNation Member--

magic61983 is a jewel in the rough magic61983 is a jewel in the rough magic61983 is a jewel in the rough magic61983 is a jewel in the rough
    I've had just about everything shipped except for the Sea Captain from the Room For 1 More event because I didn't want it to leave my sight. Other then that it's pretty save to ship everything home. I think we had one issue with something from the food and wine festival but Disney was able to resolve that. Thankfully it wasn't a limited piece.
    Go big or go home.

--VinylNation Member--
    psu4glory will become famous soon enough psu4glory will become famous soon enough
    we generally bring 2 carry-ons with us, and use 1 to carry souvenirs back home. in DEC, i bought a case of P7, and it fit like a glove right in the carry-on!

granted...that didn't leave much room for anything else in there but we found the space that we needed...

--VinylNation VIP Member--

Gillyweed will become famous soon enough Gillyweed will become famous soon enough
    What I just did on our trip last week was pack a crushable carry-on size bag in my checked luggage, then carry it on full of goodies when I left.

I just don't really trust anyone to handle my treasures but me... And the way D-Street described shipping, made me kind of scared of it. They said they put it in a plastic bag and send it off to be packed somewhere else. And I really didn't want my hat box to get dented. So I opted to carry it on with me and not take the risk. If I had bought a case or something that was more protected, I probably would have just shipped it.

It is an added annoyance carrying it with you though. But I thought the annoyance of worrying about it showing up at my house damaged was worse, lol!

--VinylNation Member--
    K.P. will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillyweed View Post
    What I just did on our trip last week was pack a crushable carry-on size bag in my checked luggage, then carry it on full of goodies when I left.

I just don't really trust anyone to handle my treasures but me... And the way D-Street described shipping, made me kind of scared of it. They said they put it in a plastic bag and send it off to be packed somewhere else. And I really didn't want my hat box to get dented. So I opted to carry it on with me and not take the risk. If I had bought a case or something that was more protected, I probably would have just shipped it.

It is an added annoyance carrying it with you though. But I thought the annoyance of worrying about it showing up at my house damaged was worse, lol!
    When we had to ship from D-Street they did a good job for us. You are correct that they put your items in a plasticshopping bag and then send them somewhere else in the world to get packaged for shipping. Our last D-Street purchased included 3 or 4 hat boxes and 4 of the light up vinylmations. These were just too bulky to bring back on the plane (along with all the other stuff that we got) but D-Street did just fine. I'm pretty sure that all the merchandise gets packaged at one centralized location so those folks are used to shipping plenty of fragile stuff and plenty of high dollar collectables from Art of Disney, etc...

--VinylNation VIP Member--

Gillyweed will become famous soon enough Gillyweed will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
    When we had to ship from D-Street they did a good job for us. You are correct that they put your items in a plasticshopping bag and then send them somewhere else in the world to get packaged for shipping. Our last D-Street purchased included 3 or 4 hat boxes and 4 of the light up vinylmations. These were just too bulky to bring back on the plane (along with all the other stuff that we got) but D-Street did just fine. I'm pretty sure that all the merchandise gets packaged at one centralized location so those folks are used to shipping plenty of fragile stuff and plenty of high dollar collectables from Art of Disney, etc...
    That is really good to know! Thanks for the info K.P.!

Although I have to say... even if 99.9% of things are fine being shipped, I would be convinced my item would be in the .1% that weren't fine, lol!

I guess I've just seen too many things happen to my items in the past that were taken out of my hands, or damaged in shipping. Not by Disney in particular, but just in general.

--VinylNation Member--
    Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future
    Thanks to my husbands expert packing and patients we managed to get just over 200 vinyls home safe and sound.
    All double packs, open boxes and 9" were wrapped in plastic bags and then wrapped in laundry for extra protection. Extra special vinyls were placed in our hand luggage just to be on the safe side. All 3" and 1.5" we're put into plastic bags then placed into craft boxes from Jo-Anne's (thanks to lotsoVinyl for the info).

I'm sorry I bit you... and pulled your hair... and punched you in the face...

--VinylNation Member--
    banglin17 is on a distinguished road
    Luckily, I live within driving distance of WDW. So it's easy to bring them home in their original packaging. However, if I were to fly with my Vinylmations, I would definitely bring some sort of empty carry-on with me. I have a hard time trusting checked luggage when it comes to my collectibles. Now, if you were to buy an entire case, I would take my favorites and the chaster out and carry them on, and then check the rest in some extra luggage! =)
    It all started with a mouse.
    Current 3" Vinyl Count: 40

--VinylNation Member--
    rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold rogpalmeruk is a splendid one to behold
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyclaire View Post
    Thanks to my husbands expert packing and patients we managed to get just over 200 vinyls home safe and sound.
    All double packs, open boxes and 9" were wrapped in plastic bags and then wrapped in laundry for extra protection. Extra special vinyls were placed in our hand luggage just to be on the safe side. All 3" and 1.5" we're put into plastic bags then placed into craft boxes from Jo-Anne's (thanks to lotsoVinyl for the info).
    200!!! That is a amazing haul.......did you leave your clothes in Orlando? lol can't wait to see what you got... next time i go I will need to take a load of this little zip lock bags

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rogpalmeruk For This Useful Post:

Disneyclaire (05-23-2012)

--VinylNation Member--
    Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future Disneyclaire has a brilliant future
    Quote Originally Posted by rogpalmeruk View Post
    200!!! That is a amazing haul.......did you leave your clothes in Orlando? lol can't wait to see what you got... next time i go I will need to take a load of this little zip lock bags
    Those little plastic bags are amazing, we couldn't find any here (surprise, surprise) so we had to order them from china!
    We did leave some clothes, 4 pairs of shoes, and all our toiletries! My haul is on the mail day

I'm sorry I bit you... and pulled your hair... and punched you in the face...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Disneyclaire For This Useful Post:

rogpalmeruk (05-23-2012)

--VinylNation Member--
    Deus has a spectacular aura about Deus has a spectacular aura about
    We just got back from WDW. i bought two cases plus several SW open windows etc. Luckily, someone I knew drove down and I was able to send a bunch back with them. But the case I bought after they left I would up dismantling and putting in my luggage. With the boxes flattened and the guys wrapped in clean linen, all worked out well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information