PDA

View Full Version : "Fake" vinyls on eBay

fuberwil
08-07-2011, 02:39 AM
I have been perusing ebay recently and I am starting to notice a lot more "fake" vinyls are appearing from hong kong. I know vinyls are manufactured in China/HK so there is a good possibility that they are initial samples that never made it or factory defects that were supposed to be thrown away. What is your take on it? Would you spend $30-40 on a 9" that is obviously not what it is (saw crossroads with no mickey on it, E-coupon with black sharpie x over it, Skeleton dance that was obviously not skeleton dance). Or should people just be reporting them to eBay.

NeutralNovice
08-07-2011, 05:18 AM
For me, no. As a collector, I like making sure I have something authentic. If I KNEW that a certain piece was not authentic, then it would be like guilt forever, even if a casual observer of my collection wouldn't even realize it. It's like a woman using a fake Gucci knockoff versus a real one... there is something about owning a knockoff that is personally unsatisfying. With that being said, the exception I will make are customs. Since customs aren't technically "authentic" in a sense that they were sanctioned by Disney, some of the custom designs I've seen out there are absolutely awesome! An example would be Mickey in Carbonite.

kimmytimmy2010
08-07-2011, 05:44 AM
well unfortunately alot of fakes of everything are being sold around the world now. It makes the originals less valuable and i think thats not right. i would never support fakes. I would want the real thing, besides the real thing looks way better.

JTChief82
08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
No way I'd buy a "Scrapper". The one thing about them that does concern me that was brought up in a different thread is the possibility of them winding up in trade boxes. IMO the listing should be reported as soon as someone notices an issue.

kara-bo-bara
08-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I have no issue buying knock off purses! However, knock off vinyls, big no-no for me!

mickiethepumpkin
08-07-2011, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't compare it to purses or other 'fakes' out there for the mere fact that these are for a collection. Something that hinges its inherent value on the items being original. It's would be the same thing as painting a design on a 'create your own' just because I couldn't find it myself. Sure you may do it for fun but it wouldn't be part of the collection. For a purse or something of that same vein (depending of course on how much one is into fashion) just have something that looks good personally is enough.

I'd be pretty pissed if I forked out money on e-bay just for it to be a fake.

JTChief82
08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I'd be pretty pissed if I forked out money on e-bay just for it to be a fake.

Hence why we must be careful, especially with Hong Kong based sellers. The Ebay thread is a great resource for members pointing out some of these Scrapper Listings. http://vinylnation.net/forums/showthread.php?1940-eBay-Listings-General-Discussion

SirScott99
08-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I would never buy somethig I knew was a scrapper. It has less value than a rock I find in my backyard should I decide to sell it later in life. I would also feel very guilty (as someone said) that I supported this crap. It would just be stupid for me to do this, I don't see why anyone would buy these scrappers

Toad_Passenger
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I would never buy somethig I knew was a scrapper. It has less value than a rock I find in my backyard should I decide to sell it later in life. I would also feel very guilty (as someone said) that I supported this crap. It would just be stupid for me to do this, I don't see why anyone would buy these scrappers

Customs, maybe?

nickalew
08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't see them as fakes, but as scrappers. the parts are authentic, but the vinyl as a whole is just a mashup of things found dumpster diving...

harveyvinyl
08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
What do we do about the dumbo and sorcerer mickey 3" and all the hong kong/tokyo exclusives because how do we know if they are really real

SirScott99
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Customs, maybe?

Thats possible but the only reason I'd deem acceptable

estrattman
08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't see them as fakes, but as scrappers. the parts are authentic, but the vinyl as a whole is just a mashup of things found dumpster diving...

The thought of diving into a dumpster full of vinylmations seems quite fun though.

mshalloween
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
What do we do about the dumbo and sorcerer mickey 3" and all the hong kong/tokyo exclusives because how do we know if they are really real

Buy from a reputable seller. There's a whole thread about these vinyls and people have recommended certain sellers. I ordered from dswrec (or something like that) and everything was great.

NeutralNovice
08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Actually, right now, a "fake" I would buy would be the Wall-E and Eve. I just got into Vinyls a coupe weeks ago and Wall-E is one of my favorite movies of all time. Part of me does not feel like spending $300 on two Vinyls when someone can create one that's a bit more realistic and cute, which someone did on eBay. I also wouldn't consider that custom one a fake because it is quite different than the LE version.

fuberwil
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/vinylmation2/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Link of some of the scrapper vinyls, I just thought it was pretty interesting. The best one I saw was the crossroads without the mickey on it claiming it to still be park 2 crossroads. I can't seem to find that one though

baddog
08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I think I got one of these "scrappers"?.....I bought a Haunted Mansion from Hong Kong and noticed when it arrived the arms looks like it had "gloves" painted on...but rest look SOOOO authentic! Marks on the bottom, rest of the litho...all don't look "fake"......not sure what figures were put together for this...only piad $1.99 plus $10 shipping..so I guess i didn't get ripped too badly...

mshalloween
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I think I got one of these "scrappers"?.....I bought a Haunted Mansion from Hong Kong and noticed when it arrived the arms looks like it had "gloves" painted on...but rest look SOOOO authentic! Marks on the bottom, rest of the litho...all don't look "fake"......not sure what figures were put together for this...only piad $1.99 plus $10 shipping..so I guess i didn't get ripped too badly...

Take a picture and post it here. I'm interested to see what you actually got.

Toad_Passenger
08-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Someone else got one of these, too. Their HM Clock had dark brown arms & hands, instead of the light brown that matches the rest of the vinyl.

MsDisneyFan
08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I have no issue buying knock off purses! However, knock off vinyls, big no-no for me!

:lol: exactly!

Pandaevo
08-08-2011, 01:32 PM
It was a matter of time before knock off's or "Scrappers" would start making their way to the US. I was just talking about this topic on Friday with Archie and was saying that I am suprised it took this long. As mentioned above I am just careful who I buy vinyls from overseas, not that I plan on buying any...

SirScott99
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
only piad $1.99 plus $10 shipping..so I guess i didn't get ripped too badly...

I'd say you did get ripped off. No one would put a real figure up for $1.99 even with $10 shipping...... at least I don't think so. Isn't that also against the ebay rules to put a shipping price so high for something this small?

Toad_Passenger
08-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd say you did get ripped off. No one would put a real figure up for $1.99 even with $10 shipping...... at least I don't think so. Isn't that also against the ebay rules to put a shipping price so high for something this small?

No, because they can include "handling" charges for it, and it was coming overseas. If they had charged $100 for shipping they may investigate for overcharging shipping, but $10 isn't going to raise any flags for them, given their willingness to let the vagueness of "handling" fees slide.

SirScott99
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
No, because they can include "handling" charges for it, and it was coming overseas. If they had charged $100 for shipping they may investigate for overcharging shipping, but $10 isn't going to raise any flags for them, given their willingness to let the vagueness of "handling" fees slide.

Then is that for domestic within the US? Cause I seem to remember a discussion in the ebay thread about high shipping prices

Toad_Passenger
08-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Then is that for domestic within the US? Cause I seem to remember a discussion in the ebay thread about high shipping prices

Basically it comes down to any shipping, domestic or international. Unless it is an alarming amount, eBay will always side with the seller because of the idea of "handling." eBay will claim that they don't know how much a seller spends in transporting the item to the shipping location, packaging items (including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc.), and other possible handling fees dealing with getting the package ready for shipment. So, $10 internationally is not going to raise any eyebrows, since it is very possible that $5.00 went into handling, and $5.00 for postage.

In addition you will never file a successful excessive shipping complaint after the bid is over. eBay, again, will side with the seller, since the shipping rate is included in the listing, and it is up to the bidder to make the decision to bid, or not.

SirScott99
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Basically it comes down to any shipping, domestic or international. Unless it is an alarming amount, eBay will always side with the seller because of the idea of "handling." eBay will claim that they don't know how much a seller spends in transporting the item to the shipping location, packaging items (including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc.), and other possible handling fees dealing with getting the package ready for shipment. So, $10 internationally is not going to raise any eyebrows, since it is very possible that $5.00 went into handling, and $5.00 for postage.

In addition you will never file a successful excessive shipping complaint after the bid is over. eBay, again, will side with the seller, since the shipping rate is included in the listing, and it is up to the bidder to make the decision to bid, or not.

Ahhh gotcha gotcha, thanks

CRAZY_AMOEBA
08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Price should be a dead giveaway in some listings. Haunted Mansion averages around the $30 range and to find it dirt cheap, especially from Hong Kong, should be an automatic red flag.

phino
08-09-2011, 02:03 PM
beware with the sketchy ebay item that just went up

Disney Vinylmation E-Ticket PARK SERIES 1 LE 600 (http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-E-TICKET-PARK-SERIES-1-LE-600-/250868503704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68ed9498)- person is from HK w/ no ratings. Just beware, not sure if it is real or fake but it is definitely suspect!

Toad_Passenger
08-09-2011, 02:34 PM
beware with the sketchy ebay item that just went up

Disney Vinylmation E-Ticket PARK SERIES 1 LE 600 (http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-E-TICKET-PARK-SERIES-1-LE-600-/250868503704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68ed9498)- person is from HK w/ no ratings. Just beware, not sure if it is real or fake but it is definitely suspect!

Definitely a scrapper. It's got the "X" marks on it that show that it was to be tossed.

DocB
08-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Oh great. Now we have to worry about Vinylmation scrappers..

magsmom
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for posting - I looked at this. In general I am trying to educate myself on the scrappers and mutants and this is a good example with the xes being a dead givaway. It's a good lesson for all.
If the price seems WAY too good to be true, it probably is.

roselark
08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Aw crap! It was the whole scrapper issue that finally turned me away from pin collecting. Does it just seem to be the 9" ones so far? I would hate it if 3" figures started showing up in the trading boxes...

I did purchase the 2 HKDL figures from a HK seller, but they had a high rating and both are in the boxes and seem just fine. I will have to make sure I am much more careful going forward.

sosumya
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I just noticed this on Ebay, questioned it and came to post here then saw this thread: "sheep" from Toy Story set.. certainly a fake right? Also a posting from Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-vinylmation-3-TOY-STORY-SHEEP-LIMITED-/220828080275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336a611893

Wheeldog
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I just noticed this on Ebay, questioned it and came to post here then saw this thread: "sheep" from Toy Story set.. certainly a fake right? Also a posting from Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-vinylmation-3-TOY-STORY-SHEEP-LIMITED-/220828080275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336a611893

Yeah, the seller szeszechan0628 is one of the HK sellers with scrapper vinyls almost all the time. Definitely stay away from him.

SirScott99
08-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Aw crap! It was the whole scrapper issue that finally turned me away from pin collecting. Does it just seem to be the 9" ones so far? I would hate it if 3" figures started showing up in the trading boxes...

I did purchase the 2 HKDL figures from a HK seller, but they had a high rating and both are in the boxes and seem just fine. I will have to make sure I am much more careful going forward.

They are also 3" not only 9". There are 2 HK sellers that are very good and we trust them. They're listed a few pages back or somewhere in the ebay thread. I know the one i've bought from is katstudio. I got the HK Mickey from him/her and it arrived fairly quickly and good packaging. You can tell though which sellers to stay away from

fuberwil
08-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Don't think that's fake. Looks like just damaged sheep from the 9/3 Bo beep combo

Maillis
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I haven't seen anything that I would consider a truly fake vinyl on eBay. Just the scrappers that don't make it through quality control and the occasional Frankenstein vinyl made up of scrap parts.

ars2003
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
How can you be sure if it's real? There's a new one that claims to be a prototype of Urban 3 Orange gears. I almost bid on it but thought better not to.

devilwbluedress
08-13-2011, 07:13 AM
I saw that auction also...for the prototype. I thought about bidding, but then there is no way to authenticate it.

asan
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Disney really needs to step up and somehow put an end to all these scrappers listed on ebay. The same thing is going to happen with vinyls that happened with pins, been thinking about jumping ship, what happens if they get there hands on a few cases of good scrappers like a p5 stitch or m1 kermit? you others out there would buy them at cheaper prices and trade them off to us, the cycle has started and needs to stop before it get ruined.

ars2003
08-14-2011, 01:45 AM
The only prototype I have seen for sure was as D23 two years ago. I got one from the barrel of vinyls they brought out and I'm pretty sure it said "Prototype" on the bottom of the feet. I wish I still had it, it was a Park 1 - SMRT too.

SirScott99
08-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Anyone have the link for this gears?

Maillis
08-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Already sold...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vinylmation-Variant-Gears-Series-3-Prototype-Sample-/270793348000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0c8a93a0#ht_2053wt_1084

baddog
08-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Price should be a dead giveaway in some listings. Haunted Mansion averages around the $30 range and to find it dirt cheap, especially from Hong Kong, should be an automatic red flag.

I don't think price is a dead giveaway. I have bought some great stuff on Ebay - not fake (and not all Vinylmation) with opening bids of .99 cents. There are always a few that get auctioned that poeple miss bidding on....as someone who sells on Ebay alot (15+ years non-vinylmation) sometimes I list for 99 cent start and just get a bid - my shipping from Canada to the US would be $9 and that has NO mark up for handling at all...

PLUS nowadays Ebay charges us sellers commission on the shipping fees too...I think they started that because of people listing items for $1 and charging $25 for shipping and they only made the % on the $1...now they make it on the entire $26...

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Definitely a scrapper. It's got the "X" marks on it that show that it was to be tossed.

Okay - that one I dont know why anyone would buy for $29 - it looks like a kid marked it all up - who would display that!

Tom
08-14-2011, 04:22 PM
It's worrying that they are out there, I have bought a couple from Hong Kong, maybe it's just a case of being more vigiliant and checking more thouroughly in the future

PhantomVirus
08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
interesting - I bought a MK trashcan from a HK seller - it looks right - nobody bid on it and I got it for $70. Does anyone have an official one with a know lineage that they can send me pictures of? This thread concerns me quite a bit. The reason I got out of Pins was due to the counterfeting.

fuberwil
08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
interesting - I bought a MK trashcan from a HK seller - it looks right - nobody bid on it and I got it for $70. Does anyone have an official one with a know lineage that they can send me pictures of? This thread concerns me quite a bit. The reason I got out of Pins was due to the counterfeting.

Can you post a pic of yours?

mbo516
08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
First off, hello everyone...I'm new to the forum but not new to creeping it / this website or collecting vinyls.

Anyway, I just want to warn everyone about the fakes on ebay. They usually are coming from Hong Kong, and they have usually been faking low-value ones, but this past week obi wan ghost fakes have come on the market and I really encourage you all to not bid on these. The first sold for about 300, and the current one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Disney-Vinylmation-Ghost-OBI-WAN-Chaser-RARE-FH01-/260838615528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb3169e8#ht_2452wt_1167) is over $100.
There is a 99% chance this is not an authentic vinylmation.
I'm seriously worried about vinyls going the "way of the pins"
If you have any questions please ask me..
Here is my explanation to someone on facebook as to why this is not real.

Well I'm sure you know how bad the pins on ebay are as far as being fakes. At any rate, my original rule stands- if you see something from Hong Kong with out a card / packaging - you can almost guarantee it is a fake. This does not mean to not buy from Hong Kong, but if you are not smart about it you will definitely get a fake. I bought a park 4 set from hong kong with no problem- but it came with boxes, foil, and cards. Now this you can tell is fake for several reasons.

One- this is similar to all other fake listings from Hong Kong. Similar sellers try and sell miss painted figures, figures without heads, etc.

Reading the listing is the best thing you can do. This person clearly knows little to nothing about the actual product they are selling. Not to sound racist or anything like that- but without packaging you cannot trust anything from China that is worth anything. Like I said, they already sold one of these the other day and immediately are selling another. I knew the first one was a fake though just by reading the listing. They always claim these products are "used" or "loose," which basically means that the paint job leaves much to be desired. Check out some other figures from hong kong, you'll see what I mean. (I don't know why but it's always specifically Hong Kong that they come from). Anyway, that picture is not the actual one you are bidding on, because they used that same picture for the last one they sold.

Now okay, so maybe I haven't given you anything to really go off of, but the best advice is to look through the other listings that are clearly fakes, and you will pretty much know instantly when a listing is shady. These Hong Kong people also specialize in selling "ridiculous" vinyls. Such as constantly selling the 3 inch sheep that comes in the 9 inch bo peep..but they never have the 9 inch bo peep with it. Clearly a fake..also the sheep is badly painted.

I can't find any good examples on ebay right now without looking harder, but at any rate- I can tell you that Hong Kong is the breeding ground of fake vinyls right now. So it's not racist if it's true, and it is sad that some sellers *might* have real "loose" or "used" vinyls there. But to protect yourself, stay away from anything from there with no cards / boxes. ( i know obi doesn't have a card by the way)

Hellsatyr
08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
They usually are coming from Hong Kong, and they have usually been faking low-value ones

I have been reporting fakes to eBay for a couple of days now. Too bad they limit how many letters you can actually type into the report box.
I don't know if they will ever do anything about it though.
Here are some awful sellers of fakes
Sinodolls - (example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-PARK-6-WET-PAINT-DONALD-ORANGE-FH49-/250876873730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a696d4c02)
Haingan - (example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Vinylmation-3-Toy-Story-Buzz-Lightyear-/200637590696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb6eeaca8)
There are others...check the last few pages of the eBay thread

That being said there are a few decent Hong Kong Sellers.
Mickey20072007 is one, for example. Just purchased the HK Disneyland 5th Anniversary Dumbo & Mickey - new, unopened, and in fantastic condition.

It is really a shame that these are being faked and scrappers are being sold as genuine.
It doesn't seem like they are flooding the market though or effecting/altering prices for the real items.

Toad_Passenger
08-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks to the PP, because we've been discussing those Obi-Wans on another thread.

It's important to note, though, that they are not "fake." They are, in fact, VM's that have been printed in the same factory as the ones that reach the retail market. The difference is, though, these have been tossed out because of QC issues, and are intended to be destroyed. These people are taking them out of the "scrap" bin and trying to sell them. The term we've been using is "scrapper." I think this is good because it differentiates them from a true "fake" which, to me, would be someone taking a CYO, spray painting it gold and trying to sell it as a U1 Chaser.

I know it's semantics, but they aren't, truly, fake. Either way, I agree ... DON'T BID ON THEM!

mbo516
08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Honestly, It's going in a very bad direction. What they were faking was child's play until recently. I was very surprised that so many people bid on the obi ghost..I thought that these were pretty easy to spot as fakes, but I guess not so much. There really is no way to stop it. eBay can't do much about it and Disney Legal isn't going to pursue it either. I tried calling a seller out to them about pins years ago, but they never responded.

SirScott99
08-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I tried calling a seller out to them about pins years ago, but they never responded.

BEcause they knew they were wrong but didn't want to get into it or didn't think anyone would notice or care

mbo516
08-21-2011, 01:16 PM
No, I mean I contacted Disney Legal and left a message. I honestly think while they do care about it, they really can't pursue it.

Btw, it was interesting to learn about the idea of "scrappers," which makes complete sense here. Star Wars is going to be rereleased, so it make sense that these were just recently reprinted, and logically these are from the new batch.
However, the term scrapper is thrown around a lot with pins when it shouldn't be. The pins were definitely continuously reprinted using the molds from Disney. I would hope we don't see that happen, but I would imagine vinyls have a much more difficult printing method. but this is just as bad.
I hope there wont be a day when you can't go on ebay and buy vinyls without having to be too cautious, or not be able to by them at all, which is frankly where I think pins are at right now.
If anyone collects pins, my hat is off to you. I used to, but it's worse than buying a car..the pin is immediately worth 1/10 of what you paid for it and you are the only one you can prove it is real too. I just hope vinyls can continue to stay legit on ebay. I know that is where I get most of mine from. I only go to the parks a couple times a year, so it's just not realistic to collect these without ebay, for a lot of people I'm sure. I think it is also "fun" to know that vinyls have held their value. It also makes it more...necessary?...to collect the current ones because they will go up in value in a very quick amount of time.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

I actually also had a crazy idea of copying that guys picture and listing another obi on ebay..putting a reserve of like $1,000 on it just so nobody actually buys it, but still looks at it..and then putting in the description a warning about the scrapper vinyls and specifically that one.

fuberwil
08-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I actually also had a crazy idea of copying that guys picture and listing another obi on ebay..putting a reserve of like $1,000 on it just so nobody actually buys it, but still looks at it..and then putting in the description a warning about the scrapper vinyls and specifically that one.

Just you watch, someone will buy your auction and want that obi from you :)

mbo516
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
If someone pays 1,000 I will be glad to give one to them -_- lol

VintageOne
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
There is a difference between a "Scrapper" which is more or less an early factory prototype or a mistake which was intended to be thrown away, and a true "fake." While I think you can always tell in person, it's not so easy with a picture on ebay. Faking these things isn't all that easy and does cost some money, so the value of the individual vinyl would have to reach a certain point to make it "worth it" to create the mold, paint it, etc. I think you'll see fakes starting to hit the market on a select few like balloon chasers, where the value exceeds $500 - however, not so much on stuff $200 and below. Those are probably scrappers, and still a waste of money as to me and most collectors they are considered worthless. Unfortunately it's buyer beware, and only buy from people with quality feedback and a return policy.

Hellsatyr
08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
make it "worth it"

A lot of the fakes I have seen have been cheap paint overs of other vinylmations. I saw an orange wet paint Donald painted over a Jack Skellington, a Kaa painted over a red/orange gear bear (the give away was they didn't paint the arms and left out a lot of details), and a few others like all the Buzz Lightyears don't have a helmet and some are repainted onto the new mold.
If they have access to some cheap paints they will reproduce anything. All the fakes I have seen are being sold for a flat $10-$15 with free shipping. Others are using pictures from vinyl websites and then either a) not sending the object or b) sending poor quality repaints or highly damaged goods (missing heads, areas void of paint, etc)
If they have access to scrappers or cheap undesirable vinyls & a set of paints, then they will make anything to turn the initial investment into a profitable business.
Also a lot of the "quality" feedback is faked. Check their feedback carefully a lot of their positives (if not all of them) are from a handful of people repeated over thousands of times - the names usually appear in groups of the same name in a row, most likely the seller's alt accounts trying to build up good rep, meanwhile their real transactions are filed under the neutral or negative comments with fake, missing item, damaged goods, etc

Always check the rep first.

Rust This World
08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
A lot of the fakes I have seen have been cheap paint overs of other vinylmations. I saw an orange wet paint Donald painted over a Jack Skellington, a Kaa painted over a red/orange gear bear (the give away was they didn't paint the arms and left out a lot of details), and a few others like all the Buzz Lightyears don't have a helmet and some are repainted onto the new mold.
If they have access to some cheap paints they will reproduce anything. All the fakes I have seen are being sold for a flat $10-$15 with free shipping. Others are using pictures from vinyl websites and then either a) not sending the object or b) sending poor quality repaints or highly damaged goods (missing heads, areas void of paint, etc)
If they have access to scrappers or cheap undesirable vinyls & a set of paints, then they will make anything to turn the initial investment into a profitable business.

The things like Kaa with the different arms aren't fake as in bootlegs, they're weird amalgamations of random parts a guy with minimum knowledge of vinylmation could piece together from the trash bin in a factory. That's a scrapper. It's not like they took a Scrooge and repainted Kaa on top of it. Vinylmation aren't hand painted anyway, they're stamped with paint. If someone hand painted something, it would take waaaaaaay more effort than pulling a beat up vinyl from the trash.

As far as I know, there are no "fake" vinylmations yet. If someone starts reproducing actual castings of mold, out of probably cheaper material, with shoddy paint not from the factory, then that will be a fake. There's a difference between a factory reject and a counterfeit. There are no counterfeit vinylmations yet.

Deus
08-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Would you be weary of an auction like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/280727538758?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

Because of the pic quality?

mbo516
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Would you be weary of an auction like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/280727538758?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

Because of the pic quality?

honestly, no. there are tons of bad pics out there.
personally, if the vinyl has a card- I want it.
if it's from the USA, at this point..I honestly haven't seen fakes from the US.
Also, a lot of people take junk pictures with their phones these days.

Toad_Passenger
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
The things like Kaa with the different arms aren't fake as in bootlegs, they're weird amalgamations of random parts a guy with minimum knowledge of vinylmation could piece together from the trash bin in a factory. That's a scrapper. It's not like they took a Scrooge and repainted Kaa on top of it. Vinylmation aren't hand painted anyway, they're stamped with paint. If someone hand painted something, it would take waaaaaaay more effort than pulling a beat up vinyl from the trash.

As far as I know, there are no "fake" vinylmations yet. If someone starts reproducing actual castings of mold, out of probably cheaper material, with shoddy paint not from the factory, then that will be a fake. There's a difference between a factory reject and a counterfeit. There are no counterfeit vinylmations yet.

I agree with this. I think the factory may have some that, unfortunately end up getting painted twice for reasons unknown. Maybe they accidentally went around a second time (thus get tossed by QC), or they attempted to see if it was possible to "overpaint." This would explain the Wet Paint Donald overtop of Jack Skellington. There's no way someone could have printed an exact Wet Paint Donald like that. Who knows, maybe "overpainting" does work in some cases. You'd never know if the factory overpainted one in your collection, if it was done flawlessly.

mbo516
08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I also agree that just because vinyls cost more to make, doesn't mean they wont fake them. The more you produce the cheaper they become. Pins aren't too valuable alone, but once you make 1000s of fakes and bundle them together, as long as someone can make a buck, it will be done.

Crazy idea here...but umm..maybe we should produce somethings in the Good ol' USA...

Rust This World
08-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Oh I'm sure eventually there will be bootleg vinylmations, and they're be similar to bootleg action figures where they're painted horribly and made out cheap material. The thing about bootleg vinylmations is that they'll never be able to match the paint that's stamped out in the actual factory. So they could attempt to do a wet paint Donald, but it will be easy to tell the difference.

mationator
08-22-2011, 06:55 AM
well even if it was reported to ebay i wonder what the outcome would be?

oamisj75
08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Who knows, maybe "overpainting" does work in some cases. You'd never know if the factory overpainted one in your collection, if it was done flawlessly.

Actually, there have been a few photos posted on this site that show Vinylmations that have been clearly painted over. And these are figures that people got from trays and blind boxes and such. I'm not too good with working the search, but one I can recall seeing is a Yoda that has tread marks on his ear indicating that it was a ticket book Vinylmation that was painted over. It's not common, but it has happened.

NeutralNovice
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I also agree that just because vinyls cost more to make, doesn't mean they wont fake them. The more you produce the cheaper they become. Pins aren't too valuable alone, but once you make 1000s of fakes and bundle them together, as long as someone can make a buck, it will be done.

Crazy idea here...but umm..maybe we should produce somethings in the Good ol' USA...

Would you like to pay 1.5x to 2.0x the current price for vinyls? That really adds up. Also, what makes you think USA-made will not have the same issues as non-USA-made?

glassdezignz
08-22-2011, 10:53 AM
i just buy from the parks directly. if theres something sold out or hard to find, i try my best to trade for it. if all else fails, i create my own:)

CRAZY_AMOEBA
08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
So this person has been selling really rare vinyls and the only way to reAlly get them is is you buy it with the accessory like the ear hat or watch. Are they real or fake cuz for the milk and cookies vinyl someone paid $50 and he now has another one up plus the mickey aRch vinyl. I havnt really had the time to compare them to the real ones cuz I'm training all day but it looks just like it. He's also a Hong Kong seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Vinylmation-3-Urban-7-MILK-COOKIE-Figure-FH58-/260840395937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb4c94a1

Toad_Passenger
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
So this person has been selling really rare vinyls and the only way to reAlly get them is is you buy it with the accessory like the ear hat or watch. Are they real or fake cuz for the milk and cookies vinyl someone paid $50 and he now has another one up plus the mickey aRch vinyl. I havnt really had the time to compare them to the real ones cuz I'm training all day but it looks just like it. He's also a Hong Kong seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Vinylmation-3-Urban-7-MILK-COOKIE-Figure-FH58-/260840395937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb4c94a1

This seller is a scrap dealer. He uses the same picture over and over for any of the vinyls he sells (red flag #1), no cards - no boxes - marked as used condition (red flag #2). It's such a shame that he's getting so much money from unsuspecting customers. Since he uses the same picture, lord only knows what condition the actual figures show up in! :eek:

CosmosApple
08-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Exact same motif you describe Toad_Passenger, from CRAZY_AMOEBA's same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-PARK-6-WET-PAINT-DONALD-Purple-FH75-/260839916384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb454360#ht_2603wt_1163

Went for $94 and while the Purple Wet Paint Donald is my most sought after item, it just looks wrong in the picture.
Out of country, no box, no foil, scuffed. Caveat Emptor!

gfd_firefighter
08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
This one is even worse!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-150-Disney-Vinylmation-Haunted-Mansion-40th-FH85-/260841495725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb5d5cad

ehbeerdude
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I personally don't buy any vinyls from ebay if they're not in the United States. Even if they're listed in places where there are Disney parks/stores, I still refuse. I just feel the risk of receiving a fake goes way up from other countries.

mshalloween
08-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I personally don't buy any vinyls from ebay if they're not in the United States. Even if they're listed in places where there are Disney parks/stores, I still refuse. I just feel the risk of receiving a fake goes way up from other countries.

There are a couple of very good HK and European sellers. If you ever find something you really want, post the seller here and I'm sure someone can steer you in the right direction as to whether they are trustworthy or not.

archie
08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
This one is even worse!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-150-Disney-Vinylmation-Haunted-Mansion-40th-FH85-/260841495725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb5d5cad

Honestly, I wouldnt mind having this vinyl just for fun. I know it isnt worth anything but it would look good on the porch on halloween with the table of candy set out. Wouldnt have to worry about it getting dinged up or anything like that.

gfd_firefighter
08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I just hate the fact that one of the most highly sought after 9/3 sets has a piece available as a scrapper. Especially one as limited as this was.

magsmom
08-25-2011, 05:07 PM
This one looks suspect. I don't even know what this is from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-3-Vinylmation-Steamboat-Park-Figure-FH65-/250879088497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a698f1771

archie
08-25-2011, 05:11 PM
This one looks suspect. I don't even know what this is from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-3-Vinylmation-Steamboat-Park-Figure-FH65-/250879088497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a698f1771

this is from a vinyl/watch combo. this vinyl being auctioned is a reject that didnt make it through qc.

ehbeerdude
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
There are a couple of very good HK and European sellers. If you ever find something you really want, post the seller here and I'm sure someone can steer you in the right direction as to whether they are trustworthy or not.

That's good advice. Thanks!

<34DisneyC
08-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Ugh. I saw this happen with pins. I never wanted it to happen to vinyls! What a disappointment.

WhatTheDUCKanay
08-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Wow, a ton of fakes.

loco j
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Wow, a ton of fakes.

what do you mean by fakes, has some one produced vinyls that didnt come from the disney factorys? or are these just blemished from the factory. i have ordered 2 vm's in the sushi series from hong kong and there was some paint issues, but i couldnt beat the price. any way i dont buy these as a investment. something tells me if i ever get rid of them the whole craze will be over (with the change in mold this could be sooner than later) and i will have worthless stuff for atleast 25 years when they become antiques.

Carol
08-27-2011, 02:15 PM
what do you mean by fakes, has some one produced vinyls that didnt come from the disney factorys? or are these just blemished from the factory. i have ordered 2 vm's in the sushi series from hong kong and there was some paint issues, but i couldnt beat the price. any way i dont buy these as a investment. something tells me if i ever get rid of them the whole craze will be over (with the change in mold this could be sooner than later) and i will have worthless stuff for atleast 25 years when they become antiques.

As noted previously on this thread, technically these listings on eBay are not 'fakes' - they are 'scrappers'.

They are rejects from the proper Disney factory that should have been destroyed but somehow have found their way on to eBay being sold out of Hong Kong.

They either have bad blemishes, crosses on them or are bits of several vinyls tacked together.

It doesn't matter if you want to buy these and put them in your collection, but what people are concerned about is that they are now hitting the secondary market in the US and are being sold as the real thing!

SirScott99
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Even if it was a great price I would never be happy with buying a scrapper even though I'm sure I have a bunch of scrapper pins. The pins are a lot harder to verify and 3 of the same pin will have 3 different subtle designs. With vinyls you can tell what's a scrapper and what isn't. I would feel very very bad and upset even if I knowingly did it

aug4457081
08-27-2011, 06:04 PM
So, I was looking on ebay for some pirate vinyls to add to my lonely skeleton, and I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Vinylmation-PIRATE-MICKEY-HERO-CARIBBEAN-/200644225781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb753eaf5#ht_500wt_1147 not only have I never seen this before, Ive also never heard of it before. is it real or fake?

mbo516
08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
So, I was looking on ebay for some pirate vinyls to add to my lonely skeleton, and I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Vinylmation-PIRATE-MICKEY-HERO-CARIBBEAN-/200644225781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb753eaf5#ht_500wt_1147 not only have I never seen this before, Ive also never heard of it before. is it real or fake?

It's real. It's from Japan I believe. Scrappers are really easy to spot. They are currently coming almost exclusively from hong kong and have poorly written descriptions / lack of info about the product.

When something has a tin and card like that..don't even question it lol..there aren't any fakes..especially that elaborate.

just_rob
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
This issue is one that is driving me mad. I hate it so much. If you look at the prices people are paying, looks as if they really don't even know or just don't care that they are indeed fakes. You can tell they know what they are doing to, because there not making the hippie or gear bears. They always go after the harder and more expensive ones to get. Plus most of the sellers from Hong Kong have really great feedback and a lot of it. So who would know if you just got into the game of collecting vinylmation.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Plus why is disney stopping the vinyl. artist cards(just seems that way). Always a good indicator of something not right.

mbo516
08-27-2011, 06:27 PM
This issue is one that is driving me mad. I hate it so much. If you look at the prices people are paying, looks as if they really don't even know or just don't care that they are indeed fakes. You can tell they know what they are doing to, because there not making the hippie or gear bears. They always go after the harder and more expensive ones to get. Plus most of the sellers from Hong Kong have really great feedback and a lot of it. So who would know if you just got into the game of collecting vinylmation.

I honestly think that the Hong Kong sellers are rather dumb. They do little research on the items. They just go off of what it says on the footstamp. One muppet hat combo vinyl has a footstamp marked with animal kingdom set and LE1000, so they said thats what set it came from. I literally think they just take whatever is in "somewhat decent" condition out of the "trash." They do sell a lot of junk to be honest. Their stuff is primarily low priced vinyls. Only recently have they had some good ones and it really has only been one or two sellers.

I agree with the artist cards as well. I even think those could be taken a step further and have a hologram or something to that effect on it.

aug4457081
08-27-2011, 06:27 PM
It's real. It's from Japan I believe. Scrappers are really easy to spot. They are currently coming almost exclusively from hong kong and have poorly written descriptions / lack of info about the product.

When something has a tin and card like that..don't even question it lol..there aren't any fakes..especially that elaborate.

lol ok, i was just kind of like what the heck is that?

mbo516
08-27-2011, 06:36 PM
lol ok, i was just kind of like what the heck is that?

Yea lol, it's definitely good to be sure. If nobody bid on the scrappers then it would be a non issue. But unfortunately not enough people are questioning things before they bid.

Carol
08-27-2011, 06:50 PM

This one is absolutely A OK - it is a Japan disneystore exclusive and one of my favourite vinyls!

aug4457081
08-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm kinda scared to bid :( i dont want to get a scrapper.

TSSD
08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm kinda scared to bid :( i dont want to get a scrapper.

Don't be scared. 99% of the time, if it comes with it's tin/box/card, it's one hundred percent okay.

mbo516
08-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't be scared. 99% of the time, if it comes with it's tin/box/card, it's one hundred percent okay.

Yea and just ask here if not sure. I've said it before, but..the problem is going to arise with vinyls that are valuable, don't have cards, and are being resold. The main worst one right now are those scrappers of Obi variant. If someone resells those from the USA they are going to be VERY hard to spot. Especially if someone puts up a photo of it with a star wars box or something like that.

mas
08-28-2011, 05:10 PM
When I got my solid pink elephant I got the Pinocchio card in the box. No one at Disney could do anything for me:-(
So I bid on a real boy variant last night. Didn't realize it was from Hong Kong and a scrapper :-(
At least I have something to go with my Pinocchio card. Would not trade it. Collected pins for years - way too many scrapper so I went to vinyls.
Thank goodness no one fakes View-Master reels!

baddog
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
How can you tell on some things? I got a Magic Mirror from Hong Kong that looks perfect - but it came with my Haunted Mansion with weirdly colored arms...so is my Magic Mirror a scrapper?

Toad_Passenger
08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
How can you tell on some things? I got a Magic Mirror from Hong Kong that looks perfect - but it came with my Haunted Mansion with weirdly colored arms...so is my Magic Mirror a scrapper?

Got a picture of it, or a link to the auction?

carebee21
09-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I just bought my son a Hong Kong Dumbo and Sorcerer Mickey from a seller in Hong Kong. The figures are still in the boxes. Do you think they'll be ok or would you avoid all sellers overseas?

TSSD
09-01-2011, 12:52 AM
I just bought my son a Hong Kong Dumbo and Sorcerer Mickey from a seller in Hong Kong. The figures are still in the boxes. Do you think they'll be ok or would you avoid all sellers overseas?

That should be fine. There are some great sellers in Hong Kong, only a few are fake/scrappers. If they were in the box, they should be fine.

1rocky
09-01-2011, 01:21 AM
which seller did you buy them from
i have bought several from Hong Kong and all ok the latest being a cars set fro dsewrc excellent seller and well packaged

Gram
09-01-2011, 04:34 AM

I bought the same two figures from a Hong Kong seller (mickey20072007) and they were perfect.
In the box, price tag still on them. Those particular ones they sell there, so it's within reason that they'd sell them from Hong Kong.
The main concern with Hong Kong auctions is when figures look scraped-up and don't have their accessories in the picture. Those are rejects they fish out of trash cans. If they're in the box, you should be fine.

carebee21
09-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks so much. That's who I purchased ours from. I didn't think twice about it because they come from Hong Kong but then I saw this thread and wondered if I was naive. Thanks so much for the reassurance.

lighto
09-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Is this problem getting worse? I just saw a listing for 20 glassless 3D chasers for $26.99.
I'm thinking about reporting this issue and I'm wondering if anyone has done so already with other fake vinyl listings from Hong Kong.

Goonie007
09-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm thinking about reporting this issue and I'm wondering if anyone has done so already with other fake vinyl listings from Hong Kong.

I report them whenever I find them and they list them as being part of the legitimate limited edition set or similar misleading descriptions. It looks like the one in ? got taken down

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Is it just me or is the scrapper problem getting worse? Before i would see a couple here and there and last night BAM! 30 - 40 listings all over the place almost outnumbering the legit "ending soons".

Also i wanted to get everyone's opinion on the sellers themselves since they have such high positive ratings... Do they just sell a bunch of legit crap then switch the accounts over to selling knockoffs or are they just fooling that many people?

loco j
09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
alot of people are asking how can you tell if its a fake or sraper. these are great examples. they are claiming this is a new jungle book series. if you havent herd of a new series here there probably isnt one. also notice these are all in different states of paint and are comming from china. however one is comming from calli. 5 on ebay a few differnt sellers. http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/joshsmith_2007/KGrHqNjcE5uStOkkBOYvzGk60_3.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/joshsmith_2007/KGrHqIOKpEE5YsEhqTBOG2C0Bew60_12.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/joshsmith_2007/KGrHqRhIE4528KeFBOG0e0U60_3.jpg the tails arent even the same

FireMickey216
09-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Those are either fakes or scrappers.

mbo516
09-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I think at this point they are almost writing "scrapper" all over their auctions. You don't even need to inspect it for the most part. Scrappers are coming from Hong Kong and claim to be "loose," they never have cards or extra pieces such as hats or glasses. They are very easy to spot once you see one or two auctions. The only issue is that people are buying these and some are likely to resell them at some point and that is when you will not be able to spot them without thorough inspection, which may not be possible through photographs.

magsmom
09-05-2011, 12:13 PM
There are a number of Mickey 3ds for sale right now without the glasses from Hong Kong. There is an alphanumeric code in the title which appears to be a giveaway as well.

sweettasha
09-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I would never buy a scrapper! :nono: I better be cautious on ebay...I could never forgive myself if I wasted money on one. It is sickening as how cheap people are. Thank you for the warning about Hong Kong!!

Prolif1k
09-06-2011, 01:54 AM
It's bad enough at how bad counterfeit pins are. Counterfeit vinyls are just going to be a pain if it ever gets to the point where they end up in trade boxes frequently...

fuberwil
09-06-2011, 10:53 PM
It's bad enough at how bad counterfeit pins are. Counterfeit vinyls are just going to be a pain if it ever gets to the point where they end up in trade boxes frequently...

Cast members for most trading places are knowledgable enough on what is legit and what isn't. Most these new vinyls are scrappers to me :)

snoboardp
09-07-2011, 12:43 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-CROSSROADS-PARK-SERIES-2-LE-350-/250888222496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6a1a7720

this is a good crossroads!

baddog
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
this is a good crossroads!

How do you know? Its also from Hong Kong....

Toad_Passenger
09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
How do you know? Its also from Hong Kong....

It was a joke, the Mickey Mouse is completely missing from the figure.

baddog
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry, I'm a newbie to this..I didn't get it...

fuberwil
09-24-2011, 09:59 PM
I think "scrapper" cast chaser exclusives are starting to pop up. They look good and not as scratched up as the ghost obi's. You guys can be the judge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-Cast-Chaser-40th-Anniversary-WDW-3-Figure-FE16-/260854668748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc265dcc#ht_2540wt_954

Crazy4Vinyls
09-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Don't you think most people are aware of this now, so some of the blame falls on collectors who continue to buy these things.

Carol
09-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I think "scrapper" cast chaser exclusives are starting to pop up. They look good and not as scratched up as the ghost obi's. You guys can be the judge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-VINYLMATION-Cast-Chaser-40th-Anniversary-WDW-3-Figure-FE16-/260854668748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc265dcc#ht_2540wt_954

The reason these vinyls look good are because they are NOT photos of the actual vinyl you are going to get. These scrapper sellers use photos of 'proper' vinylmations but send you out the defective ones from the factory.

One of the members on here got done with a fake obi ghost - http://vinylnation.net/forums/showthread.php?22092-Is-this-Fake-Ghost-Obi

I have started a thread with the scrapper sellers ebay id's on it so that more people on the forum are aware of the sellers you should NOT buy from - http://vinylnation.net/forums/showthread.php?22135-List-of-Scrapper-ebay-sellers-to-watch-out-for

vinylmation_nation
09-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't pay a penny for any collectable that is fake. It completely defeats the purpose. I can't believe you actually saw one with black sharpie on it. That's awful! :yikes:

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Don't you think most people are aware of this now, so some of the blame falls on collectors who continue to buy these things.

I think most people on the forum have figured it out. But unfortunately they have good feedback, so if someone isn't looking to much into they could be fooled.